SAGE Trail Academy 2020 and Crew Leader Certification
The SAGE Trail Academy is a program to build trail stewardship skills and grow the size and skill level of our local trail maintenance community. This program has been funded by a grant from REI and has a $250 per person value.
To be determined, Majority will be on local Santa Barbara trails and there will also be 1 classroom session.
Date and Time:
Saturday, January 4th, 8:30 am-4:30 pm and
Sunday, January 5th, 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Drew Perkins – Trails Program Director of Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz
Drew is a world-renowned trail design expert and builder, with a decade of experience from Alaska to Austria.
This is a two-day intensive trail leader training school modeled after Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz’s Trail Academy (http://mbosc.org/trailacademy/)
Some of the Trail Maintenance and Construction techniques we will cover:
- Trail Evaluation
- How to maintain and build sustainable trails
- User experience design for sustainability
- Basics of Trail Construction
- Trail Assessment and Work Prescription
- Volunteer Crew Management
- Coordinating with land managers
- Safety and First Aid
- Specific techniques including:
- Erosion control features:
- Rolling Grade Dips and Knicks
- Grade Reversals
- Outslope, backslope, and tread rules
- Repairing damaged switchbacks and turns
- Brush trimming and clearing
- Rock crib wall construction
- Rock armoring
This course is for both beginners to advanced trail workers, even previous Trail School grads. There will be a lot of information provided, you will surely learn new things, eat well and have some fun!
Want more info? Shoot us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org